Trusted since 1934


Russell and Sons was founded in Toowoomba in 1934 by William John Russell, who recognised the potential of the Darling Downs as a Dairying Area. He first visited Toowoomba as a representative of the Alfa Laval Seperator Company, and a year later he moved his family from Sydney to establish the business selling dairy equipment and associated lines. A year later, his son Doug joined the business, and from 1936 the business continued to grow.

The business operated from premises at 5 Russell Street (Pictured) up until 1986 when we moved to new larger premises at 18a Goggs Street.

Today, Russell and Sons is still owned and run by the Russell Family. Our core business is still focused on the Dairy Industry, however we now service and sell a much larger range of equipment, including Agricultural & Domestic Pumping Equipment, Engines and Power Equipment, Solar Pumping Equipment and much more.

The current directors of the business are John and Andrew who are 3rd and 4th generation members, and the business has a staff of 18 people, all of who are dedicated to serving our customers in the best possible way.

The story so far

The business commenced trading in April 1934 by William John Russell (Jack) with assistance from Son (Arthur) and Daughter (Thelma) from rented premises in Russell Street. (Current site of Betros Bros Fruit Mart)

5 Russell Street - May 1978.JPG
  • Purchased shop at 5 Russell Street Toowoomba

  • 1936 – Son William Douglas Russell (Doug) transferred from Brisbane to Toowoomba and commenced partnership with Father Jack.

  • Arthur left business and returned to Sydney.

  • 1940’s business consisted of 2 Partners + 5 Staff

  • 1950’s business consisted of 2 Partners + 8 Staff

  • 1960’s business consisted of 2 Partners (Until 1962) + 10 Staff

  • 1962 Jack died September, aged 76

18a Goggs Street - March 1986.JPG
  • New partnership formed in 1970.

  • Graham commenced working in 1971 with qualifications as Accountant and Auditor.

  • Malcolm commenced working in 1971 with qualifications as a Diesel Fitter & Turner, business commenced selling diesel engines and machinery.

  • William John (John) commenced working in 1978 and undertook trade qualification as a small engine mechanic.

  • 1970’s business consisted of 3 Partners + 12-15 Staff

  • 1980’s business consisted of 5 Partners + 15 Staff

  • Purchased new premises and built purpose built building, moved in May 1986 to 18a Goggs Street (Current Site)

  • Barry commenced working in May 1986 with qualifications as an Electrical Fitter.

  • Business diversified into pumping equipment, particularly submersible groundwater pumps and domestic pressure pumps.

  • 1988 – Doug moved into Semi-retirement.

  • 2001 (Sep) Bought the business of Moreton Dairy Service (DeLaval Dealer – Sunshine Coast) and traded from 2 locations until 2003.

  • 2001 (Oct) The partnership of Russell & Sons (Toowoomba) changed its legal status to a private Company, trading as Russell & Sons (Qld) Pty Ltd under directorship of Graham, Malcolm, Barry & John.

  • 2003 The fourth generation of the Russell family became involved in management with the appointment of Andrew (Graham’s Son) and Jeffrey (Malcolm’s Son) as Directors.

  • 2008 business consisted of 6 Directors and 18 Staff

  • August 2008 – Graham retired from the business.

  • August 2008 Doug died, aged 92.

  • June 2015 – Malcolm retired from the business.

  • September 2015 – Barry retired from the business.

  • February 2018 – Grant (Barry’s Son) commenced working in the business bringing qualifications in Air Conditioning and Refrigeration and Pump Manufacture.

WD Russell.JPG

Vision for the future

To continue supporting the Dairy Industry which remains the core of our business, by supplying a range of quality products and services to both the Dairy Farmer and their related industries. We believe that customer service is the key element in the success of our business, and we strive to stand by our motto, ‘When you want the job done, call Russell & Sons’